What skills you need to become a recruiter?
Universally, steps followed in hiring a person are almost consistent across all organizations. It may take some time (1 week) to understand the organization policies, visa process for each country, and may take 3 months to 1 year to develop a client/vendor/candidate database. Advantage is you can work in any country, if you have mastered recruitment process.
Below, we have mentioned skills needed for you to become a recruiter. Within parenthesis, we have also mentioned about the minimum time that is required to master those skills. Usually, it takes between 2 months and 3 months to become a successful recruiter.
- Working knowledge in Computer; particularly "Windows Explorer"-(1 week)
- Working knowledge in Application Software like MicroSoft (MS) Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point, Adobe Reader, NotePad, Calculators, WinZip or any other zipping software-(1 week)
- Searching skills on search engines like Google (www.Google.com), Yahoo (www.Yahoo.com) and how to download resumes matching your requirements. This is not mandatory but in the long run, it will help you-(2 days)
- Working knowledge in browsers (Internet Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla )-(1 day)
- Working knowledge in Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express-(1 day)
- Working knowledge with www.gmail.com or www.Yahoo.com-(1 day)
- Working knowledge in chatting software like yahoo messenger-(1 day)
- Knowledge of WEBEX-1 day
- Understanding end to end recruitment process:(i.e) understanding the visa process, technology terms overview from recruitment perspective (database, front end, back end, client, erp etc); understanding the requirement (job description, skill set) and how to interpret them from recruitment perspective, speaking with candidates/vendors/tier1 clients, submitting resumes, scheduling interview; co-ordination in signing contracts on successful selection of the candidate, following up with candidates on regular basis, developing relationship with vendors/clients/candidates etc.)-(1 month to 2 months)
- Additional: Working knowledge in websites like www.Taleo.com or www.cBizOne.com-(1 week)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.